This is not going to be long. But let me just say to those of you out there who are trying to “blend” broken families: It’s not easy. As a matter of fact, it is light years beyond difficult. So, here’s some advice to those of you who are biological parents. Not all stepparents are evil. We are not all the enemy. I understand you want to protect your babies…you SHOULD. But please understand that there are other people (including stepparents) who LOVE your children with all their hearts. Just because we didn’t give birth to them or raise them from the time they were babies does not mean we don’t care as much as you do.
Dear biological parents:
- I am NOT trying to take your place.
- I am NOT in competition with you for your children’s affections.
- I DO love your children.
- I DO want what is best for YOUR children.
- I WILL make mistakes. You are so forgiving with each other but I get crucified for making mistakes.
- The double-standard is getting old.
- I am fully aware that I am an outsider. You don’t have to go out of your way to make sure I know it.
- I MIGHT actually have good ideas. You should listen to me sometimes.
- No one likes walking on eggshells ALL the time.